Main Article Content
People in Bangladesh usually do not utilize handwashing facilities properly, which makes it challenging to implement hygiene practices of handwashing to reduce diarrhea and other health risks. Against this backdrop, this research attempts to assess the factors associated with Effective Handwashing Facilities (EHFs) in Bangladesh utilizing the Multiple Indicator Cluster Survey 2019. This study utilizes descriptive statistics techniques and also bivariate and multivariable logistic regression methods by representing odd ratios to identify the relationship between associated factors and EHF in Bangladesh. The descriptive statistics show that about 74.22% of the households in Bangladesh have EHFs. Gender, education, ethnicity, male-head households, household wealth status, source of water, sanitation status, sharing toilet facility are identified as the potential determinants of EHF. As a result, we recommend that all levels of society in Bangladesh have continuous access to handwashing equipment and facilities to reduce hygiene-related illnesses especially diarrheal disease.
• Aiello, A. E., & Larson, E. L. (2002b). What is the evidence for a causal link between hygiene and infections? The Lancet Infectious Diseases, 2(2), 103–110. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1473-3099(02)00184-6
• Alexander, L. (2020, March 14). Defeating Diarrhea in Bangladesh. BORGEN Magazine. https://www.borgenmagazine.com/defeating-diarrhea-in-bangladesh/
• Bangladesh Bureau of Statistics, & UNICEF. (2014). Bangladesh Multiple Indicator Cluster Survey 2012-2013. ProgotirPathey: Final Report. Bangladesh Bureau of Statistics. https://mics.unicef.org/files?job=W1siZiIsIjIwMTUvMDcvMDcvMTcvMjAvMDkvNzk2L0JhbmdsYWRlc2hfMjAxMl8xM19NSUNTX0ZpbmFsX1JlcG9ydC5wZGYiXV0&sha=f6f33951c5125263
• Bangladesh Bureau of Statistics, & UNICEF. (2019). Multiple Indicator Cluster Survey. Progotir Pathey Bangladesh 2019 - Progotir Pathey: Survey Findings Report. Bangladesh Bureau of Statistics. https://www.unicef.org/bangladesh/media/3281/file/Bangladesh%202019%20MICS%20Report_English.pdf
• Bangladesh Planning Commission. (2020). Sustainable Development Goals: Bangladesh Progress Report 2020. https://info.undp.org/docs/pdc/Documents/BGD/SDGs-Bangladesh_Progress_Report%202020.pdf
• Bloomfield, S. F., Aiello, A. E., Cookson, B., O’Boyle, C., & Larson, E. L. (2007). The effectiveness of hand hygiene procedures in reducing the risks of infections in home and community settings including handwashing and alcohol-based hand sanitizers. American Journal of Infection Control, 35(10), S27–S64. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajic.2007.07.001
• Boyce, J. M., & Pittet, D. (2002). Guideline for hand hygiene in health-care settings: Recommendations of the Healthcare Infection Control Practices Advisory Committee and the HICPAC/SHEA/APIC/IDSA Hand Hygiene Task Force. Infection Control & Hospital Epidemiology, 23(S12), S3-S40. https://doi.org/10.1086/503164
• Capps, J. M., Njiru, H., & deVries, P. (2017). Community-led total sanitation, open defecation free status, and Ebola virus disease in Lofa County, Liberia. Journal of Health Communication, 22(sup1), 72–80. https://doi.org/10.1080/10810730.2016.1242671
• Dadonaite, B., Ritchie, H., & Roser, M. (2018). Diarrheal diseases. Our World in Data. https://ourworldindata.org/diarrheal-diseases
• De Buck, E., van Remoortel, H., Hannes, K., Govender, T., Naidoo, S., Avau, B., Veegaete, A. V., Musekiwa, A., Lutje, V., Cargo, M., Mosler, H., Vandekerckhove, P., & Young, T. (2017). Approaches to promote handwashing and sanitation behaviour change in low‐ and middle‐income countries: a mixed method systematic review. Campbell Systematic Reviews, 13(1), 1–447. https://doi.org/10.4073/csr.2017.7
• Dutton, P. (2011). Handwashing with soap: Two paths to national scale programs-lessons from the field: Vietnam and Indonesia. Water and Sanitation Program. https://www.wsp.org/sites/wsp.org/files/publications/WSP-HWWS-National-Scale-Programs.pdf
• Ejemot-Nwadiaro, R. I., Ehiri, J. E., Arikpo, D., Meremikwu, M. M., & Critchley, J. A. (2021). Hand-washing promotion for preventing diarrhoea. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, 2021(1), CD004265. https://doi.org/10.1002/14651858.cd004265.pub4
• Friedrich, M. N. D., Julian, T. R., Kappler, A., Nhiwatiwa, T., & Mosler, H. J. (2017). Handwashing, but how? Microbial effectiveness of existing handwashing practices in high-density suburbs of Harare, Zimbabwe. American Journal of Infection Control, 45(3), 228–233. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajic.2016.06.035
• Halder, A. K., Tronchet, C., Akhter, S., Bhuiya, A., Johnston, R., & Luby, S. P. (2010). Observed hand cleanliness and other measures of handwashing behavior in rural Bangladesh. BMC Public Health, 10, 545. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2458-10-545
• Haque, M. A., Haque, A., & Ansari, M. S. (2010). Water, sanitation and health status of Aila affected coastal area of Bangladesh. Bangladesh Journal of Environmental Science, 19, 51–56.
• Hirai, M., Graham, J. P., Mattson, K. D., Kelsey, A., Mukherji, S., & Cronin, A. A. (2016). Exploring determinants of handwashing with soap in Indonesia: A quantitative analysis. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 13(9), 868. https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph13090868
• Hosmer, D. W., Jr., & Lemeshow, S. (2000). Applied Logistic Regression (2nd ed.). John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
• Islam, M., Benjamin-Chung, J., Sultana, S., Unicomb, L., Alam, M., Rahman, M., Ercumen, A., & Luby, S. P. (2021). Effectiveness of mass media campaigns to improve handwashing-related behavior, knowledge, and practices in rural Bangladesh. The American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene, 104(4), 1546-1553. https://doi.org/10.4269/ajtmh.20-1154
• Jumaa, P. A. (2005). Hand hygiene: simple and complex. International Journal of Infectious Diseases, 9(1), 3-14. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijid.2004.05.005
• Khan, M. H. R., & Shaw, J. E. H. (2011). Multilevel logistic regression analysis applied to binary contraceptive prevalence data. Journal of Data Science, 9(1), 93-110. https://doi.org/10.6339/JDS.201101_09(1).0008
• Luby, S. P., & Halder, A. K. (2008). Associations among handwashing indicators, wealth, and symptoms of childhood respiratory illness in urban Bangladesh. Tropical Medicine & International Health, 13(6), 835–844. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-3156.2008.02074.x
• Luby, S. P., Halder, A. K., Tronchet, C., Akhter, S., Bhuiya, A., & Johnston, R. B. (2009). Household characteristics associated with handwashing with soap in rural Bangladesh. American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene, 81(5), 882–887. https://doi.org/10.4269/ajtmh.2009.09-0031
• Mbakaya, B. C., Lee, P. H., & Lee, R. L. T. (2017). Hand hygiene intervention strategies to reduce diarrhoea and respiratory infections among schoolchildren in developing countries: A systematic review. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 14(4), 371. https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph14040371
• Menard, S. (2002). Applied logistic regression analysis (2nd ed.). SAGE Publications, Inc.
• Ovaskainen, O., Hottola, J., & Siitonen, J. (2010). Modeling species co-occurrence by multivariate logistic regression generates new hypotheses on fungal interactions. Ecology, 91(9), 2514-2521. https://doi.org/10.1890/10-0173.1
• Parveen, S., Nasreen, S., Allen, J. V., Kamm, K. B., Khan, S., Akter, S., Lopa, T. M., Zaman, K., el Arifeen, S., Luby, S. P., & Ram, P. K. (2018). Barriers to and motivators of handwashing behavior among mothers of neonates in rural Bangladesh. BMC Public Health, 18, 483. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12889-018-5365-1
• Pizzorno, J. E., Murray, M. T., & Joiner-Bey, H. (2015). The clinician’s handbook of natural medicine (3rd ed.). Elsevier Ltd.
• Rabbi, S. E., & Dey, N. C. (2013). Exploring the gap between hand washing knowledge and practices in Bangladesh: a cross-sectional comparative study. BMC Public Health, 13, 89. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2458-13-89
• Schmidt, W. P., Aunger, R., Coombes, Y., Maina, P. M., Matiko, C. N., Biran, A., & Curtis, V. (2009). Determinants of handwashing practices in Kenya: the role of media exposure, poverty and infrastructure. Tropical Medicine & International Health, 14(12), 1534–1541. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-3156.2009.02404.x
• STATA (14.2). (2015). [Statistical software]. StataCorp. https://www.stata.com
• To, K. G., Lee, J. K., Nam, Y. S., Trinh, O. T. H., & Do, D. V. (2016). Hand washing behavior and associated factors in Vietnam based on the Multiple Indicator Cluster Survey, 2010-2011. Global Health Action, 9(1), 29207. https://doi.org/10.3402/gha.v9.29207
• UNICEF. (2019). Multiple Indicator Cluster Surveys (MICS). [MICS 2019, Bangladesh]. https://mics.unicef.org/surveys
• UNICEF, & World Health Organization. (2019). Progress on household drinking water, sanitation and hygiene 2000-2017. Special focus on inequalities. https://www.who.int/water_sanitation_health/publications/jmp-2019-full-report.pdf
• Whitby, M., Pessoa-Silva, C. L., McLaws, M. L., Allegranzi, B., Sax, H., Larson, E., Seto, W. H., Donaldson, L., & Pittet, D. (2007). Behavioural considerations for hand hygiene practices: the basic building blocks. Journal of Hospital Infection, 65(1), 1–8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhin.2006.09.026
• Wichaidit, W., Biswas, S., Begum, F., Yeasmin, F., Nizame, F. A., Najnin, N., Leontsini, E., Winch, P. J., Unicomb, L., Luby, S. P., & Ram, P. K. (2019). Effectiveness of a large-scale handwashing promotion intervention on handwashing behaviour in Dhaka, Bangladesh. Tropical Medicine & International Health, 24(8), 972–986. https://doi.org/10.1111/tmi.13277
• World Health Organization, & UNICEF. (2013). WHO/UNICEF Joint Monitoring Programme (JMP) for Water Supply and Sanitation (JMP). https://www.unwater.org/publications/whounicef-joint-monitoring-programme-water-supply-sanitation-jmp-2013-update/
• World Health Organization, & WHO Patient Safety. (2009). WHO guidelines on hand hygiene in health care. https://www.who.int/publications/i/item/9789241597906
• Xuan, L. T. T., & Hoat, L. N. (2013). Handwashing among schoolchildren in an ethnically diverse population in northern rural Vietnam. Global Health Action, 6, 1-8. https://dx.doi.org/10.3402%2Fgha.v6i0.18869